Language Assistant Program
Università Cattolica del Cuore gives the opportunity to international students to use their first language as an opportunity to work in schools and support teachers, while learning some Italian and acquiring teaching skills.
The Language Assistant Program is addressed to Study Abroad and Exchange students who are interested in an enriching service learning experience in an Italian environment. In collaboration with primary and secondary schools located in Milan and in the greater city area, you will have the chance to support teachers and work under their direction in classrooms and in outside-of-class activities with the following tasks:
- Plan activities to motivate pupils/students to learn more about the target language
- Share aspects of your culture
- Organize group and class activities
- Boost conversation practice
- Help with text reading and comprehension
- Participate in activities aimed at teaching a specific subject in a foreign language
The placement will be in schools where the languages taught may be English, German, Spanish, French. These are unpaid positions, but some schools may provide other types of benefits (not guaranteed).
What is included:
- A two-week Intensive Italian Language course held at UCSC (6 ECTS credits)
- A workshop led by UCSC academic staff (3 ECTS credits)
- In-class language support (180 hours, 6 ECTS credits)
- Final reflective report (3 ECTS credits)
The Intensive Italian Language course and the workshop are considered a compulsory part of the program, while the final reflective report may be optional depending on home institution credit requirements.
On a general basis, you will be asked to be at the school two or three times weekly for a total of 8-10 hours per week, however the schedule may vary according to each school’s needs. You will earn 18 ECTS and you will complement your workload with two courses from UCSC’s academic offer. Please check the program structure and the option that suits you most.
- Fall Semester: September – December
- Spring Semester: February - May